Last week I began work on a new bonnet...for myself.
I decided to make this one with a stiffened brim, so I worked out the shape with paper, then when I was happy with it transferred the design to pelmet stiffener (or whatever it's called!), cut it out...then set it aside.
Next I took my fabric, two layers together, transferred the bonnet shape then stitched the outside edge. Then came two rows of piping cord...(normally, I would buy a thick cord and unravel it for a smooth look, but this time I wanted the cord to show through as I wasn't going to gather it).
The next step was to mark the diagonal lines and sew in the rows of piping.
It was beginning to look good when I suddenly realised...I'm going to have trouble getting the last couple of rows of piping in! OOPS!
Plan B...forget first attempt, grab some more fabric and start again! This time marking in from the edge to allow for edging piping, then starting with the diagonals!
If I had struggled on with the first attempt, the words of my old needlework teacher would be ringing in my head: That's not good enough...! So I just had to start again...