A few years ago I decided to have a go at making a chemisette. The pattern I tried to copy was from Janet Arnold's Patterns of Fashion, but never finished it becuase I wasn't too happy with the way it looked. The fact that it was made from polyester/cotton might have had something to do with it.
Since then I have made a 'Regency' dress for myself, with a spencer for the Jane Austen Festival in Bath...
These were worked out without the use of patterns, which weren't too bad for first attempts. I now have patterns from Sense & Sensibitity, one of which includes chemisettes.
Whilst browsing photographs from the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute, I found this picture at the top of the page...and fell in love with it!
That was it! The need to have another go at making a chemisette was upon me, so I had a rummage amongst my fabrics for something suitable. This was soon found, a piece of cream sriped cotton.
Out came the pattern, but neither of the chemisettes were quite what I wanted, so I improvised...so far, so good!
But I wanted the frill, but was afraid that this was where I would mess it up. I persevered, and the frill was added with little fuss.
Only one thing niggled me...the seam showing on the underside of the frill!
So I covered it with binding...which resulted in another minor niggle.
Stitches now showed on the base of the frill, I decided to stitch on a piece of lace to hide them, and luckily I had a small bit of cotton lace that was just the thing...